10.21.2010

Getting over the "hump day"

So today I peaked energy wise... but I must have slept awkwardly because my back was killing me...which when it comes to two 2 yr. old boys is worse than having low energy. Well anyone with kids knows that a minor injury like back pain will not get you out of the game...

Our day actually got off to a late start as I got into a battle of the wills with William.  Before we go out to the park or wherever we're going... I always pick up the boys toys...   but today I decided that they were going to pick up their own mess...  time to learn some responsibility.   So I had asked Michael to put away a toy and also asked Wm.  Michael put away his toy pretty promptly as he pretty much knows the routine...and is always eager to get out of the house.  William was and almost always is the challenge....  he wouldn't budge when I asked him to put away his fire-truck ,  he just kind of stood there and stared at it....  I'm always cognizant of how I talk to the boys and make sure the things I want them to do I pose as a request or question....  "Wm can you put your fire-truck away like I asked.... Please?"  William wouldn't budge... just kind of stared at me and the fire truck.   I explained to him that the sooner he put his fire truck away , the sooner we could go to the park.    He didn't move...  he just kind of sat on the floor and stared at the truck...  I don't know if it was my back hurting or what.... but I got down on the floor with him.  We just kind of both looked at the truck....   I told myself....  "You are not putting the truck away"   Michael at this point was getting restless and frustrated and was looking at Wm like... "dude please put the fire truck away"   We actually sat there for about 45 min...    I knew that if I put that fire truck away I was never going to get him to put away his fire-truck.   He pouted.... he cried...  we had a couple of "stare down" moments....    At one point I really thought I was going to cave and put the truck up... it wasn't me so much..... I mean my back was hurting I could have lied there and took a nap...  but I was really concerned about Michael who at this point had joined us on the floor but just didn't seem to understand why we weren't moving anywhere.  I thought to myself... "this is so unfair to Michael"    But there are going to be many times in their lives where one's actions will affect the other...and it wont...  be fair.    Michael being the eternal pragmatist at one point even wanted to put away the fire-truck and I told him ..."No.... you did your share , its your brother's turn"   Well eventually after nearly an hour...   William gets up and toys with the fire-truck and eyes me to see how I'm going to respond... and he's testing me at this point.... I know this because I did it to my parents....   

So Wm finally gets his fire-truck and slowly methodically takes the longest route possible to the toy area to return his fire-truck....   and has the nerve to give me this... "are you happy now" glance...    My boy... I tell you.  In the end it was a moral victory....  but I hope I got through to Wm.  I'm trying hard to instill into him and his brother a sense of responsibility and accountability,  I hope they understand that and realize I'm not just trying to be mean. 

I love my guys...  I love Wm stand-fastness and Michael's pragmatist approach to situations.... It really amazing to see their character and personalities develop.  I guess I know what I'm in for...

thanks,

Father/ed

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share & Enjoy

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More