9.24.2010

Color me what...

A rather non-eventful day... a long one though...  The boys mom had to work until 9:00 so I was pulling the extra-long shift...

I decided to let the boys wear their "monkey" boots out today... Granted I'm sure it was a record day temperature-wise for the month of September.  They really made a spectacle of themselves I tell you... but you wouldn't know it.  They were so non-nonchalant as if EVERYone should be wearing yellow "monkey"  boots in 90 degree heat.  I heard one little precocious little girl ask her mom "why were those boys wearing rain boots..."   her mother shushed her.  I'm so proud of my little guys...  the perfect balance of humility and pride.  I wish I had that... Throughout my life I've spent far too much time concerned with what others thought.  I suppose another lesson learned through my boys...


The most interesting thing to happen today was when I took the boys down to the neighbors... at the end of the block...   We both have 2 boys....  and have gotten to know each other pretty well over the summer.  We'll sit in "Steve's"(fictitious)   garage/man-cave while the boys play in the driveway...   have a soda ...I have a soda I should say..  Steve drinks Keystone...and I wouldn't touch that stuff...    Steve's a pretty-down-to-earth guy... Not the most intellectually stimulating conversation...  but I spend most of my 90% of my day conversing with 2 year olds.  Well today was interesting because as Steve and I were sitting there having a beverage and our black and white kids in the year 2010 play together ... Steve made reference to his funny "colored" co-worker.  I was sitting there sipping on my Vitamin water and almost choked....  I hadn't heard that term since....  well since watching the Jane Pittman story.  So many things went through my mind at that moment...  I'm like... "Edward... inner-monologue...  consider the source...  the guys a furniture delivery guy".  At the same time... I'm like my boys are sitting here...  I need to set an example don't I?   I can't let them think that's okay..   I need to "keep it real"  and tell this guy he can't go around in 2010 using the term colored. But at the same time I thought ... there his sons are there... he's a father too... Do I really need to embarrass him in front of his sons?  I don't think the boys were listening. I did look around the garage for a rebel flag or bumper sticker however...      Well he did invite us back over tomorrow to grill out. I've decided that I'm going to say something... probably tell him that....  I know he didn't mean to be offensive..but he should probably refrain from using the term "colored" when referring to black Americans or ANY people of color for that matter.  I will take some watermelon to the grill-out however.  lol

Thanks,
Big daddy E

1 comments:

Toya said...

Hey Edward!! My Mom wasn't thinking, and said this once to her friend who's black (You have to know my Mom). Her friend replied "well, just what color was he?" I thought this was a good comeback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share & Enjoy

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More