11.19.2010

So thankful to be here....

This Thanksgiving as we go around the table and say what we are thankful for... I certainly will have a lot to say...  but to surmise it all... I would simply say "I'm so thankful to be here".

If you don't know.... Earlier this week I had an accident while preparing lunch for the boys when my sweater caught on fire from one of the burners..  The whole incident took place in about a minute 1/2... but seemed like an eternity....   I of course forgot everything I learned during Fire Safety week in school and didn't "Stop , Drop, and roll"  and in part panicked....  also I wanted to get as far from the boys as I could...   When I realized I couldn't put the flames out on my sweater, my survival instinct kicked in.... I knew I had only a  matter of seconds to get that sweater off....  as I listened to my boys screaming helplessly I said to myself...."not today... it's not my time..."  "I got two boys to raise" 

These guys are going to have to put up with dad for many more years to come...


The EMT and fire-fighter that came to the house said I was very fortunate.... and that it's only about 10 seconds between 2nd degree burns and what can be fatal 3rd degree burns.....   10 seconds.. doesn't seem like a long time....  but I believe the person in the room in next to me wished they had 10 extra seconds... they didn't make it...  Not to sound overly dramatic.... but that could have easily been me.  10 more seconds and that could have been me...  

I've never been one to take life for granted...but this recent experience has certainly renewed my appreciation for it...   and for all the things I do have in contrast to what I don't have.  I certainly realized that I do have family and friends that care about me....  two beautiful boys and my health.   For that I am thankful.... and like I said before...  I'm just thankful to be here.

Thanks

Father(ed)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share & Enjoy

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More