9.30.2010

Breakfast FOR Champions....

I heard once that in the course of a child's life, his/her father may prepare for him/her maybe 100 meals .. while his mom... countless meals.  While that statement is probably based on the traditional roles of mother/father... I think there has probably been a significant shift in duties such as meal preparation and so many other roles that were traditionally "mother" duties or what have you.... 


I've had the opportunity to prepare meals for the boys from the time they were months old and began eating rice cereal up to now and I've enjoyed every instance.  I remember the first time feeding  them and realizing the challenge of feeding two at a time.... they weren't always so patient when I alternated spoonfuls between them.  Now that they are older and are able to enjoy table food, I see this not just as an opportunity to prepare meals for them but to bond with them.  Seizing the opportunity to spend time with them and prepare a healthy well balanced home-cooked meal.  Don't get me wrong... I'm no Wolfgang Puck.  My meals are typically pretty simple and similar to the meals you and I grew up eating...    They are some picky eaters too let me tell you , but I don't let it get to me...  I realize this is pay-back for all the grief I gave my mom....  as I was a finicky eater as well. To this day I still can't stand my food touching...

But I have fun...  no matter how mundane or simple the meal.... I have fun. One of my favorite meals to prepare is breakfast....no sure why, but I guess it sets the tone for the rest of the day....  I'm helping "fuel" us for the adventures that await.  WiMi , they have fun too...  taking turns throwing their utensils on the floor as they sit in their high-chairs....seeing just how many times is Daddy going to pick them up or Michael tattling on Wm because he took his bib off.  If I can encourage fathers out there to do one thing it's take the time to prepare a meal or two for your son/daughter if you have the time... MAKE the time.  It's probably not often you get to do this so they will definitely remember and appreciate it and you will see how rewarding it is.  I know it is for me.

Father-Ed

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share & Enjoy

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More